0002 - Public API for modules
Context and Problem Statement
We currently use direct file reference across different packages. This had led to everything in the packages being available to any other package across our projects. Which makes it difficult to identity what potential side effects a change might have as they are not isolated to the individual package. Traditionally only a specific subset of a package is exposed as a public module, which provides safety that changes will be internal to the package and ideally covered by it's unit tests.
- Direct references - We can decide to continue as is. Without a public API.
- Define public modules using index.ts - We add
index.tsto each folder that defines the "public" interfaces. The other packages then imports the root index file and are forbidden from direct references to internal files.
Chosen option: Define a public module using index.ts.
- The public module is defined.
- Imports can be kept cleaner since not every file needs to be manually imported.
- Safety in knowing that a change is isolated to the package.
- We will have to update
index.tsfiles whenever we add a new exported API.